Ohlone Audubon Field Trips:
IMPORTANT COVID-19 FIELD TRIP INFORMATION
Since the COVID-19 pandemic began, Ohlone Audubon Society has canceled all field trips out of an abundance of caution for the safety of our members, and to comply with the shelter-in-place rules in Alameda County and California. As those rules have changed and the science around how the coronavirus is generally transmitted has become better understood, we now feel that with certain rules and suggestions, OAS can once again start holding field trips.
These are the rules that must be followed on all Ohlone Audubon field trips for the foreseeable future, as well as some suggestions to participants:
1) Masks must be worn by all field trip participants, including leaders, at all times during the field trip
2) Carpooling is not permitted, except between members of shared households or "social bubbles" (as defined by the Alameda County order)
3) A minimum distance of six feet must be maintained at all times between participants who are not in the same social bubble
4) No sharing of optics or any other gear is permitted
5) No one who has a fever or any symptoms of illness, or who has tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 14 days should not attend
7) Maximum field trip size will be restricted to 10 participants and will be strictly enforced through the reservation system
8) Many East Bay parks, even though they are open for hiking, have closed bathrooms, so it is recommended that participants plan ahead
9) All participants are encouraged to bring hand sanitizer in case of accidental contact
Want to plan for months ahead for the many amazing OAS field trips? Download our annual field trip teaser which allows you to schedule far in advance for field trips. Keep your eye on the Kite Call or check on the calendar for more information on the field trips as they come closer!
Have an idea for a great field trip? Interested in leading a field trip? Ohlone Audubon’s field trip leaders will gather on annually to plan every year of exciting field trips. Where would you like to go birding with us? Contact us with your ideas and suggestions at fieldtripsATohloneaudubon.org
Once a year, our wonderful field trip leaders get together and create an annual field trip schedule. But sometimes the birding at a certain location gets really good or a rare bird shows up when and where we don't have a field trip scheduled. Introducing "pop-up field trips"! A pop-up is a field trip that's not on the annual schedule, and it may be planned for just a few days from now. Due to print deadlines, the announcement may not make it into the current Kite Call, but we'll post it on the OAS web site (ohloneaudubon.org), on our OAS Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/Ohlone-Audubon-Society-278448208868107/), and on Yahoo Birding Events (https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/birding-events/info). If you're up for some great last-minute birding, be sure to keep an eye on these sites. We look forward to seeing you in the field.